Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Trip to the Vet

Yesterday, I took Archie for his annual check-up. He was furious and let me know it all the way over there, continuing his loud complaints in the waiting room. Before getting his Feline Leukemia booster, he was examined and weighed. At a hefty 13.8 pounds, he was given his shot and a clean bill of health. (I got just a bill.)

The ride home was so quiet, I began to wonder whether he had actually survived the ordeal. As I turned onto our street, I asked "Archie, are you ok?"

He actually replied from the back seat with one clear, single "Meow."

I then assured him he'd be home shortly, to which he replied with another single "Meow."

The silence continued until I pulled into the garage and turned off the engine. The meowing then resumed, although much more subdued, as I carried him into the house and let him out of the carrier. He looked as though he were saying "Aaah, it's good to be home. A bite to eat, a little fresh air and sunshine on the front lawn, and a nice long nap. Tomorrow will be a better day."

Meanwhile, I marveled at the thought of having had a conversation with a cat.

2 comments:

Tom and Cyndy said...

Ah yes. Well I converse with a rabbit as I walk home every day...

dana said...

I have lots of cat conversations...some days I am glad no one is with me cept the cats..they'd know for certain I'd lost it! :) dana