While in Prague, I spent one afternoon by myself at the Museum of Communism; and it was well worth the time. It is a chronological narrative told in pictures and artifacts from the pre-Communist era to the Velvet Revolution in Prague in 1989. Far from being simply a "dry" lesson in history, I found it a very moving account of how the philosophy and rise to power of a mere handful of men could have such far-reaching effects on so many nations in such a short period of time.
The museum was co-founded by an American and a Czech who have done an outstanding job of bringing increased understanding of the people and events of the past who shaped the present Czech Republic. As a 5-time visitor to Prague, I'm continually amazed at how much progress they have made in such a short time. My impression of the people I've met (including non-tourist areas) is that they are eager to move into a brighter future and willing to work hard to get there. I came away hoping they would never forget the lessons of history, and that others would also learn from it as well, especially Americans.
Anyone planning a trip to Prague should put this museum on their "must see" list! It is located above the McDonald's on Na Prikope near the Mustek metro stop. (For further information, you can visit their website through Google.)
No comments:
Post a Comment